The new carbon/sulfur analyzer ELEMENTRAC CS-i was developed for the accurate and safe analysis of carbon and sulfur in inorganic samples. The analyzer is equipped with a powerful induction furnace for sample combustion. Up to four highly sensitive infrared (IR) cells allow the analyzer to determine both high and low carbon and sulfur concentrations in only one measurement run.
The measuring range of each cell may be adapted to the user’s specific requirements to ensure optimum measuring conditions for each application. The analyzer is supplied with the new comprehensive and convenient ELEMENTS software, which features statistics, groupings, reports, diagnosis tools, and many additional functions for ELEMENTRAC analyzers.
- Simultaneous carbon and sulfur determination with minimal sample preparation
- A wide range of inorganic materials can be analyzed
- Freely select-able the configuration of each IR cell
- Optional gold IR path for analysis of halogen or acid-containing samples
- Control of induction performance provides a more precise analysis of samples with a low melting temperature
- Powerful (2.2 kW) induction furnace for temperatures above 2,000 °C
- NEW: automatic vacuum cleaning system ensures higher measurement precision and stability
- A heated and easily accessible dust-trap allows for improved sulfur detection
- Optimized catalyst reactor permits more accurate carbon detection
- NEW: ELEMENTS software with comprehensive analysis and diagnosis tools (supporting data and application export, comment fields, and many more)
- Single and multi-point calibration
- Low maintenance
- The robust design allows usage in production control and laboratory
- Rapid C/S analysis (40 seconds)
- Virtually no sample preparation
- Wide measuring range from 1 ppm to 100 % for C and S
- Analysis of pins, wires, powders, dust
- Simple operation
Alloys, carbides, cast iron, cement, ceramics, copper, glass, iron, minerals, ores, refractory metals, sand, steel, titanium, etc.
Operation and Analysis Process
The elemental analyzer ELEMENTRAC CS-i measures the carbon and sulfur concentration in predominantly inorganic samples through combustion in an induction furnace and the subsequent analysis of the gaseous combustion products carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide.
The high temperature of more than 2000 °C ensures complete decomposition of the sample and thus reliable and accurate elemental analysis over a wide concentration range.
The ELEMENTRAC CS-i meets and exceeds the requirements of all common standards for carbon and sulfur measurement, such as ASTM E1019, and DIN EN ISO 9556.
Typical Sample Materials
– Steel, iron, cast iron, copper, alloys, ceramics, carbides, soil, etc.
STEP 1: LOGGING THE SAMPLE INTO THE ELEMENTS SOFTWARE
The sample ID is logged into the software and the weight is automatically transferred (see step 2 in the attachment).
STEP 2: WEIGHING AND ADDING OF ACCELERATORS
Sample volumes of 50 mg to 1000 mg are typical for C/S analysis. The sample is weighed in a ceramic crucible and accelerators like tungsten are added. The geometry of the sample (e. g. wire, powder, pin, etc.) is not essential for a reliable analysis.
STEP 3: ANALYSIS
The ceramic crucible is then placed on the pedestal and the analysis is started via the ELEMENTS software. The software controls all subsequent steps like combustion and evaluation.
STEP 4: DATA OUTPUT AND EXPORT
45-60 seconds after the analysis has started, the measured carbon and sulfur concentrations are available for export as a report or via LIMS.
|Measured elements||carbon, sulfur|
|Sample carrier||ceramic crucibles|
|Field of application||construction materials, engineering/electronics, geology/mining, glass/ceramics, steel/metallurgy|
|Furnace||induction furnace, above 2,000 °C|
|Detection method||solid state infrared absorption|
|Number of IR cells||04-Jan|
|Material of IR path||aluminum (optional gold)|
|Typical analysis time||40 seconds (nominal)|
|Chemicals required||magnesium perchlorate, platinum-based catalyst, sodium hydroxide|
|Gas required||compressed air (4 bar/ 60 psi)|
|oxygen 99.5 % pure (2 – 4 bar / 30 – 60 psi)|
|Power requirements||230 V, 50/60 Hz, max. 15 A, 3450 W|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||52 x 84 x 75 cm|
|Weight||~ 150 kg|
|Required equipment||balance (resolution 0.0001g), monitor, PC|
|Optional accessories||Autoloader (for 36 crucibles), carrier gas purification, halogen trap, HTF-540 pre-heating furnace, vacuum cleaner|
Carbon can be determined as total carbon (TC) or in fractions, i. e. total organic carbon (TOC) or total inorganic carbon (TIC). When combined with the ELEMENTRAC CS-d or CS-i, ELTRA’s TIC module measures the TIC content by acidification in products like soil or construction materials
The induction furnace of the ELEMENTRAC CS-i/CS-d can be equipped with an optional automatic sample loader. The standard module offers 36 crucible positions, the XL model even features 130 positions. It is the largest Autoloader available in the market for this type of application.
Download Data Sheet: Eltra Carbon/Sulfur Analyzer ELEMENTRAC CS-i