ELTRA’s ELEMENTRAC CS-d is the only analyzer in the market for the determination of carbon and sulfur in organic as well as inorganic samples. For this purpose, the ELEMENTRAC CS-d is equipped with both an induction and a resistance furnace (ELTRA Dual Furnace Technology), covering the full range of carbon and sulfur analysis.
Up to four highly sensitive infrared (IR) cells allow for precise measurement of both high and low carbon and sulfur concentrations in only one analysis. The measuring range of each cell may be adapted to the user’s specific requirements to ensure optimum measurement conditions for each application.
The ELEMENTRAC CS-d is supplied with comprehensive and user-friendly ELEMENTS software which features statistics, groupings, reports, diagnosis tools, and many additional functions.
- Full flexibility due to combined induction and resistance furnace: ELTRA Dual Furnace (EDF) Technology
- Rapid, precise, accurate, and reliable carbon & sulfur analysis in inorganic and organic samples
- Up to four independent infrared cells with flexible measuring ranges
- Gold IR path allows for increased cell live time for analysis of halogen or acid-containing samples
- Simultaneous carbon and sulfur determination with minimal sample preparation
- Low maintenance
- The robust design allows usage in production control and laboratory
- Adjustable and ramp-able induction furnace (0-100%) for optimized combustion of every kind of inorganic sample (maximum temperature above 2,000 °C)
- Precise carbon and sulfur analysis in inorganic samples due to intelligent oxygen supply during inductive combustion
- Optional automatic vacuum cleaning system ensures higher measurement precision
- A heated and easily accessible dust-trap allows for improved sulfur detection
- Optimized catalyst reactor permits more accurate carbon detection
- Temperature of resistance furnace adjustable from 600 °C up to 1,550 °C in steps of 1 °C
- A low blank sample port assures reliable low carbon measurement in the resistance furnace
- XXL balcony for storage of samples
- Comprehensive analysis and diagnosis tools (supporting data and application export, comment fields, and many more)
- Report Designer
- Single and multi-point calibration
Alloys, ashes, carbides, cast iron, cement, ceramics, coal, coke, copper, glass, gypsum, iron, limestone, metals, minerals, oil, ores, plant materials, refractory metals, rubber, sand, soils, steel, titanium, tobacco, etc.
Operation and Analysis Process
The ELEMENTRAC CS-d is equipped with a resistance furnace for the combustion of organic materials and an induction furnace for the combustion of inorganic materials. For reliable carbon and sulfur analysis, the furnaces can be used
independently without hardware adjustments. The shared detection unit detects the gaseous combustion products CO2 and SO2. It consists of up to four infrared cells with an IR path made of solid gold which ensures high resistance. aggressive combustion residues (e.g. halogens).
The high temperatures of over 2000 °C in the induction furnace and 1550 °C in the resistance furnace guarantee a complete decomposition of the sample and thus a safe and precise C/S analysis over a wide concentration and sample range.
The ELEMENTRAC CS-d meets or exceeds the requirements of all common standards for carbon and sulfur measurement with combustion analyzers such as ASTM E1019, and DIN EN ISO 9556. The use of the induction furnace is analogous to the ELEMENTRAC CS-i. The analysis process via the resistance furnace is shown below.
Typical Sample Materials
I Induction furnace: steel, iron, cast, copper, titanium, ceramics
I Resistance furnace: coal, wood, soil, ore
STEP 1: LOGGING THE SAMPLE INTO THE ELEMENTS SOFTWARE
The sample ID is logged into the software and the weight is automatically transferred (see step 2 please check the attachment).
STEP 2: WEIGHING THE SAMPLE
Sample volumes of 50 mg to 500 mg are typical for C/S analysis in a resistance furnace, depending on the material. The sample is directly applied to a boat. Accelerators are usually not required.
STEP 3: ANALYSIS
The sample is placed in front of the furnace and the measurement is started in the software. A green LED signals when the sample can be introduced to the furnace. During combustion, the ELEMENTS software continuously records measurement values.
STEP 4: DATA OUTPUT AND EXPORT
60 to 240 seconds after the analysis has started, the measured carbon and sulfur concentrations are available for export as a report or via LIMS.
|Measured elements||carbon, sulfur|
|Furnace alignment||horizontal (resistance furnace) and vertical (induction furnace)|
|Sample carrier||ceramic boats/crucibles|
|Field of application||agriculture, chemistry/plastics, coal/power plant, construction materials, engineering/electronics, environment/recycling, geology/mining, glass/ceramics, medicine/pharmaceuticals, steel/metallurgy|
|Furnaces||induction furnace, above 2,000 °C|
|resistance furnace (ceramic tube), adjustable up to 1,550 °C (steps of 1 °C)|
|Detection method||solid state infrared absorption|
|Number of IR cells||04-Jan|
|Material of IR path||gold|
|Typical analysis time||induction furnace 40 – 50 s|
|resistance furnace 60 – 120 s|
|Chemicals required||magnesium perchlorate, platinized silica (alternatively copper oxide), sodium hydroxide|
|Gas required||compressed air (4 – 6 bar / 60 – 90 psi)|
|oxygen 99.5 % pure (2 – 4 bar / 30 – 60 psi)|
|Power requirements induction furnace||230 V, 50/60 Hz, 16 A fuse|
|Power requirements resistance furnace||230 V, 50/60 Hz, 20 A fuse|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||89 x 84 x 79 cm|
|Weight||~ 200 kg|
|Required equipment||balance (resolution 0.0001g), monitor, PC|
|Optional accessories||Autoloader for 36 crucibles, carrier gas purification, HTF-540 pre-heating furnace|
Carbon can be determined as total carbon (TC) or in fractions, i. e. total organic carbon (TOC) or total inorganic carbon (TIC). When combined with the ELEMENTRAC CS-d, ELTRA’s TIC module measures the TIC content by acidification in products like soil or construction materials
The induction furnace of the ELEMENTRAC CS-d can be equipped with an optional automatic sample loader. The standard module offers 36 crucible positions, the XL model even features 130 positions. It is the largest Autoloader available in the market for this type of application.
Download Data Sheet: Carbon/Sulfur Analyzer ELEMENTRAC CS-d